News This Week
Advent & Christmas Worship
Oh, come let us adore Him! Special programs and services are planned as we move towards the celebration of Christ's birth.
- Searching For a Savior (a musical drama) - Saturday, December 1 and Sunday, December 2, 7pm
Admission: The donation of a gift to support the Angel Tree ministry is suggested.
- The Christmas Family Tree - Sunday, December 9, 9:20 and 11am
Nursery available. No children's programs. Refreshments in the Fellowship Hall between services.
- Full seasonal schedule and details
- Blankets for Homeless Ministry - See this Sunday's bulletin insert for your opportunity to help adorn our sanctuary with either blankets for the Homeless Ministry or poinsettias.
- The Women's Ministry is sponsoring an outreach to support the Cherokee Family Violence Center by collecting paper towels and toilet paper. Items can be dropped off at the Nursery desk through December 16.
- Angel Tree - If you did not have the opportunity to sponsor a child, but want to participate, please purchase any gift item and drop it off in the Welcome Center. All gifts are due back no later than Sunday, December 9.
Altar Rail Offering
We receive a special offering the first Sunday of each month to support special ministries at Hickory Flat Church or as part of the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church. These offerings are special gifts beyond the regular tithe. This Sunday, December 2, we will receive a special offering for the Good Samaritan Fund. This fund provides emergency financial assistance to families in our church and community.
December Schedule Changes
- The following Wednesday Night programs will not meet in December: Dinners, Children's Programs, Kingdom Kids Choirs, Jr. High Youth Bible Study, Nursery.
- Wednesday night programs that will meet in December: Sr. High Youth Bible Study, Prayer Meeting, Women's League, Disciple 1.
- For programs or classes that are not listed, please contact the group leader.
- Regular Wednesday night programming will resume on January 9.
December 2: In a Dream
December 9: Children’s Christmas Program
December 16: What Does this Mean?
Exodus 12:25-28, Matthew 2:1-11
December 23: Be Merry
December 24: Christmas Eve Worship
December 30: Psalms, Prayers, and Praises
Ladies Christmas Tea
Join the ladies of Hickory Flat Church on Saturday, December 15 for this great time of fellowship featuring Michele Helms… Happy at Home.
- 9:30 - 11:30am
- $5 per lady. Childcare available for $5 with reservation.
- We will be collecting paper towels and toilet paper for the Cherokee Family Violence Center at this event.
- Register online.
A Note from SPPRC
Dear Hickory Flat Church Family,
Please join the HFUMC Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee in honoring our church staff with our “Christmas Love Gifts.” You can honor them with your thanks in prayer and in many other ways. If you choose to make a monetary gift (either cash or check), place cash in an envelope and mark the outside of the envelope “Staff Christmas Love Gift.” If by check, make it out to HFUMC and write in the memo: “Staff Christmas Love Gift.” All monetary gifts will be consolidated and distributed equally among the program and support staff as a special blessing from the HFUMC family. Please place gifts in the offering plate at worship services on or before December 16.
Audio/Visual Ministry Volunteers
Sound and screen volunteers are needed to work in the 9:20 and 11am worship services. A sound ministry volunteer is needed particularly at the 9:20 worship time. If you enjoy listening to contemporary Christian music and would like to work behind the scenes making the worship experience the best it can be for our congregation, we are looking for you. Screen volunteers are needed in both worship times.
- If interested or if you have questions, please contact: Melanie Williams, Chris Saxon, or Jeff Seargeant.
Women’s Retreat – “The Journey”
The annual Women’s Retreat will be at White Path Lodge, in Ellijay, Georgia, January 18-20, 2013.
Our ministry leader will be Rev. Sandra Henry, retired from the South Georgia Conference and currently attending Canton First UMC. Cost is $100 per person. Scholarships are available.
Free Blood Pressure Checks
The Health Ministry is offering blood pressure checks in the prayer room (East Cherokee Narthex) between services. Stop by and have your blood pressure checked.
OUTREACH & MISSIONS
A mission trip to Kenya is being planned for May 2013. This is a trip for Sr. High Youth (juniors and seniors) and college-age young adults. Our team will partner with an existing ministry and churches in Kericho, Kenya. If you are interested in the trip, please notify Brenda Sherer. This team will close soon.
- Kenya meeting - This Sunday, December 2, 4pm
H.E.A.P. is our opportunity to help provide for the educational needs of children in Honduras, through our partner ministry The Way and the Truth. This year's H.E.A.P. (Honduras Educational Assistance Program) goal - 200 children sponsored.
- Sponsor a child online (a full sponsorship is $100, but you can give in any amount).
- Visit the H.E.A.P. page for more details on this special program.
- 161 children sponsored to date!
The next mission trip to Honduras is planned for February 2013 (during the school break). If you missed the most recent meeting but are interested in participating, please contact Dave Bowker.
- Mission trip is open to youth (16 and older) and adults
- Honduras contact: Dave Bowker
- Upcoming ministry dates: Saturday, December 8 & 22
- The Homeless Ministry is looking for an inexpensive source for twin/full size blankets. If you have suggestions, contact Craig Sollenberger.
Pan de Vida is celebrating eight years of ministry and the Lord's faithfulness as He has allowed them to serve their community and around the world. View recent photos of their anniversary celebration and mission work.
Disaster Response Ministry
The Disaster Response Ministry stands ready to serve our local community in the event of a disaster or other emergency. We also send teams throughout the region as needed to help with rebuilding after storms. How can you get involved? Participate on a team (no experience needed). Donate/loan equipment or supplies. Attend Early Responder Training. Pray and more!
- If you are interested in getting involved with the Disaster Response Ministry, contact Mike McArthur or Eddie Crosby.
- Trips are planned for spring and fall of 2013. Hickory Flat Church will also respond as needed to local disasters.
HICKORY FLAT CARES
Hickory Flat Church offers free GED classes every Monday and Thursday evening, 6-9pm. All supplies are provided. Classes are open to anyone 18 years and older. For more information, contact Ronnie Holbert.
- Men are needed as GED tutors at the county jail. If interested, contact Ronnie Holbert. Training provided.
Feeling crunched by holiday pressures? Consider attending Budget Basics and letting our team of volunteers help you navigate the financial struggle of making ends meet.
- Next class: Thursday, December 6, 7pm
- Contact: Brenda Sherer
Serving Our Community
Deuteronomy 15:11 commands us to "be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land". Obeying this command can look like many things and there are certainly many ways to serve those in need here in Cherokee County. Consider how you might be 'openhanded' through either church-sponsored programs or locally-based organizations. Visit the Community Service Opportunities page to connect with local agencies or go to Hickory Flat Cares for information on church-based community programs.
Cookin' Up Christmas
Cookin' Up Christmas: Where Kids Carry Out God's Recipe is a mini VBS for 3 year olds through 5th grade.
- Saturday, December 1, 9am-12pm
- Cost: $10 per child
- Email Patricia Collier to register.
The Hickory Flat Children's Ministry Team works to provide parents with the resources needed for you (the parent) to guide your child's spiritual growth. Two resources are available so that you can follow along with what your child is learning each Sunday and continue the lessons all week long.
- Parent Cue – for iPhone, iPad, or Android ($1.99)
- Studio 252 – web based resource (free)
- Visit Parent Resources for more information and to get started today!
Jr. High Youth in December
- Sunday, December 2 - Regular schedule.
- Sunday, December 9 - Christmas party from 4-6pm.
- Sunday, December 16 - Movie night from 4-6pm.
Sr. High Youth in December
- Sunday, December 2 - Dinner at 6pm. All attend Searching For a Savior in the Sanctuary at 7pm.
Volunteers are needed to be live luminaries, lighting the way for those coming to attend the program. Contact Craig Sherer.
- Sunday, December 9 - Regular schedule.
- Sunday, December 16 - Christmas party. Details coming soon.
There will be no youth programs on Sunday, Decemer 23 and 30.
Regular Sunday Evening Schedule (resumes in January)
- Jr. High - 4-5:30pm
- Youth Dinner - 5:30-6pm
- Sr. High - 6-7:30pm